part 4: spiritual conversations
What is Successful Witnessing?
In the world of sports, it is not uncommon to talk about wins and losses. Is it possible to look at sharing the gospel as a win or a loss? Lynne suggests ways in which you can define success in sharing the gospel.
"Successful witnessing is...taking the initiative to share Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit and leaving the results to God."
DR. BILL BRIGHT // FOUNDER OF CRU
How does Dr. Bright’s definition fit with what you have considered as “successfully sharing the gospel”?
How do you see success…
- The number of people with whom I formally share the gospel using a tool such as “The Passage” or “Knowing God Personally”
- The number of people who pray to receive Christ
- Allowing the way I treat people to speak for what I believe about them and about the God who made us
Answer the question below.
- How does your definition compare to the definition presented in the video?
With the right attitude and atmosphere, any of the following 99 questions can be powerful tools. Remember, however, that the best questions always come from the wondering that the Holy Spirit is stirring inside of you as you listen to others. Listening leads to wondering, and wondering provides more opportunities to listen.
Perspective provides a disarming approach to a spiritual conversation, allowing others to share their perspective about five important topics. In each category, participants choose the card that best represents what they believe, and then they tell you why they believe it. There’s even an app you can download.
Respond to the questions below. As before, consider sharing your answers with a growth partner. If you’re completing the program solo, write your responses in a journal.
- What are scenarios you could see yourself using any of the 99 Wondering Questions?
- How about the Perspective Cards?
Remember | Evangelism is always first and foremost a work of God.
up next: MODEL THE GOSPEL
Jesus modeled some specific ways in which we can share the gospel. We’ll take a closer look at those next in the second journey of the Equipped Disciples Curriculum.