Invitation & Challenge to Disciple
- Get to know you: Can use Solarium, life updates, highlights and lowlights from the past week, etc.
- Why are we here tonight? What are we all about? What’s the purpose?
- The Gospel: It’s all about Jesus. Not what we can do for Him, but being in awe of what He has done for us.
- What do you think the word “disciple” means? Learner (apprentice).
- Scripture points us to become lifelong learners of Jesus
- What are discipleship groups?
- A small group of guys/girls who want to be learners together
- Language Creates culture: this is a discipleship group - more serious and intimate than a bible study
- This group will be both Organized (our meeting time) & Organic (life on life)
- Jesus Model
- Where did this plan of discipleship groups come from? It’s the Jesus Model for ministry
- In less than three years Jesus was able to disciple a group of unlikely men and taught them to DO and BE like Him in a way that, when released, they would change the course of human history forever. Jesus created a discipleship culture where there was an appropriate mix of invitation and challenge in the way they related to Him. He drew His disciples closer, loved them, but also gave them the opportunity to accept the responsibilities of discipleship.
- Jesus’ model of discipleship was life on life but not everyone got equal access to him. He chose a team of twelve men, but within that team he offered a deeper level of intimacy to Peter, James, and John.
- Jesus calls every disciple to disciple others. (Matthew 28:18-20)
- Practically, I want this group to be a place where you grow to become more like Christ and grow in your relationship with him, with the end goal and expectation that one day you might lead a group like this. In short, I want to help you become a disciple of Jesus, who makes disciples who makes disciples!
INVITATION & CHALLENGE
- I am inviting you into a relationship where you have unique access to my life. I want to invite you to be a part of a community that seeks to grow in our walk with Jesus together. I want to pass along what I have been taught and my hope is that you would join me in this awesome faith journey as we grow together as a group this semester.
- I will commit to giving you the best hours of my week to help you grow in the most important relationship of your life. You will get my best time, energy, and planning to make the group worthwhile for you.
- The invitation for you this year is to enter this relationship with me, grow spiritually and be equipped to eventually lead others. It doesn’t get much better than doing this with a small group of men/women.
- We all have limited time and a long list of things needing our attention. The reality is that you are sitting here because the God of the Universe is pursuing YOU. Growing in your relationship with Him is the most effective use of your time. Learning how to model your life after the most influential man to ever live, Jesus, is worth your time and commitment.
- I would love to work with you, but I don’t want to assume that you all are in for discipleship group this year. There are a lot of places you can get plugged in to grow, this is one of them. After tonight, if you don’t want to be a part of this group anymore give me a call or text. If I don’t hear from you, I will plan on seeing you at our first group next week.
- If you are in, we are asking for you to consider this commitment a top priority after your classes and your sport. Don’t miss this, don’t schedule your tutor or study group or bail out because you didn’t get your homework done in time. If we have given you an assignment, have it done before the group. I am going to be intentional in our time and will use it wisely, so please come prepared and ready to learn.
- You will get out of this group what you put into it and It will be most fun and beneficial if we are all here every week
- This can’t be your only time in the Word & prayer all week. We will help you learn how to read the Bible for yourself and spend time with God each day.
- Our group will focus on three key components of discipleship, which Jesus modeled during his time on earth.
- UP: Growing in your relationship with God
- IN: Growing in our relationships with each other
- OUT: Growing in Christ-like character and reaching out to others
Now Live it!
04: Lead a Group Discipleship Experience