12-14 “ … giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of His holy people in the kingdom of light. For He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son He loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.”
Colossians 1:12–14 (NIV)
I was thinking about the careers of Derek Jeter (New York Yankees), Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder), Tim Duncan and David Robinson (San Antonio Spurs), Bill Russell (Boston Celtics) and Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors) today. All men found a home away from home, dove in, fit in, settled in. They joined a great “kingdom.” And a great kingdom settled into them too. All prospered. I’m sure you can think of some great belonging examples too.
One of the best things about being a member of a good team is the sense of belonging that comes with it, not just the sense of accomplishment. God’s people find their fit. Being connected to something special, bigger than yourself, living in a place where you truly have rights and privileges, where strong acceptance vibes flow, and you are among people who really care … all of this means the world. That’s what God brings to people who join His kingdom.
Did you note God’s commitment to building a sense of belonging that’s expressed in today’s passage?
- HE QUALIFIES – God does not call the qualified. He qualifies the called. He drafts us and then makes us legit. What a commitment!
- HE SHARES – God shares His glorious inheritance with us. “Mi casa es tu casa” was His line first. What an owner and G.M. to play for!
- HE MAKES US HOLY – God re-titles us, dubbing us more special than we see ourselves. We get renamed, rebranded.
- HE RESCUES – God fights for us! He risks. He marches into hell for a heavenly cause.
- HE BRINGS – God doesn’t leave us on our own to figure things out and find our way. He ushers us along the way. He prompts. He welcomes.
- HE LOVES – His whole kingdom is defined by and filled with love. What a way to live!
- HE REDEEMS – God marches into enemy territory and reclaims His own. His kingdom is proactive. He buys back. He frees prisoners. He goes after big “road wins” and gets them.
- HE FORGIVES – God practices and perfects the one thing that keeps all of us moving forward, together with Him -- forgiveness. Our teams and our lives do well when we practice like this too.
Athlete, God creates the best culture. He is the best boss, the ultimate king! In Him we find our best fit.
Prayer to consider today: LORD, thank You for qualifying, sharing, making holy, rescuing, bringing, loving, forgiving us. You really want us in Your kingdom. You want us to belong. What an eternal contract offer! You are the best!