8 “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves … ”
Proverbs 31:8 (NIV)
There’s a lot of noise in our world. Televisions run 24/7 and radios pump incessantly. Pandora and Spotify play supporting cast. Earbuds are worn like permanent jewelry and headphones crown our numbed heads. Still, there is too much silence, too many folks living lives of quiet desperation. The cries of the silent are not being heard.
When I was in college, during a big injury low point, unbeknownst to me, a teammate of mine spoke on my behalf. I learned later that what he said valued and defended me powerfully to influential others and ended up making a huge difference in my future. I’m eternally grateful for Tim White.
Today’s Scripture invites us to speak meaningfully, to add volume for others and let our voices be strategically heard. I’m so glad God champions such dialogue. Following are a few ideas to prime your pump in speaking up today:
- Defend the defenseless. Find someone who needs defending and stand up for him or her.
- Practice justice. Speak up for what’s right and who’s wrong.
- Help the voices of the abused, children, widows, the powerless and the disadvantaged to be heard. Find people paralyzed by fear and become their mouthpiece.
- Listen so well to the weak that you cannot be silent. Open your ears to open your mouth.
- Turn a cellphone into a megaphone! Engage in conversations that champion and cheer on others.
Prayer to consider today: LORD, help us to raise the volume on what needs to be said and to speak up for others who need support. Don’t let us leave them voiceless. Thank You for Jesus, who lives to make intercession for us (Hebrews 7:25). May we follow His example well and do the same for others.