1,2 “Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
Hebrews 12:1,2 (NASB)
I almost busted it big time the other day. I was riding my bike and cruising along at a good clip when I heard overhead the drone of a small plane.
Out of curiosity, I looked up. Bad idea!
When I took my eyes off of my path, I lost my way. Instantly I was on the edge of the shoulder where there were holes, ridges of broken asphalt and deep dropoffs.
If I’d jerked the bike back onto the road too quickly, I would’ve regretted that decision. My only choice was to ride out the bumps.
As I cleared the last crater and made my way back onto smooth ground, I spotted some buzzards perched on the fence, disappointed that I didn’t crash, I’m sure.
My close encounter with the pavement reminded me of an essential spiritual discipline found in Hebrews 12:1,2, to fix my eyes on “Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith …”
How quickly things can go wrong when I take my eyes off of Jesus.
The verse doesn’t say, “glance, look, check in with.” No, it says, “fix”! “To fix the eyes” means a constant, unmoving, unwavering, unblinking, stare!
What does Jesus promise to us when we fix our eyes on Him?
- You can’t be separated from His love! Romans 8:38,39
- You will continue to grow in faith! Philippians 1:6
- You are guarded with His peace! Philippians 4:7
- You can ask Him anything and He will do it according to His will! John 15:7
- You are forgiven and clean! 1 John 1:9
- You can do all things through His strength! Philippians 4:13
- You can become like Him! Galatians 3:27
- You can have a renewed mind! Romans 12:2
- You can have faith to move mountains! Matthew 17:20
- You can do greater things than He did! John 14:12
- You are able to love one another! John 13:34
- You will have power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you! Acts 1:8
2 Peter 1:3 (ESV), “His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us to His own glory and excellence,”
Athlete, I’m going to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus, and I hope you do too!