6 "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus."
Philippians 1:6 (NASB)
Athlete, how do you fill in the blank, “I am …”? Who do you say you are? What is the first thought that comes to your mind?
Maybe you identify with a label that your parents spoke over you as a child. Or perhaps you wear labels both good and bad, that friends, coaches or teammates have tagged you with.
Or maybe, like me, you secretly harbor some unwanted, shameful labels that the enemy likes to whisper in your ear and plant deep in your heart. After all, he is only acting in character as the “Father of Lies.”
But labels are meant to accurately and truthfully describe something. Unfortunately, in mislabeling ourselves, believing all manner of misinformation, we have forgotten who we truly are as Christians. We suffer from a case of mistaken identity.
The good news – God tells us over and over who we really are!
- I am a new creation. 2 Corinthians 5:17
- I am chosen and dearly loved. Colossians 3:12
- I am God’s child. John 1:12
- I am called. 2 Timothy 1:9
- I am crucified with Christ. Galatians 2:20
- I am alive with Christ. Ephesians 2:5
- I am a witness of Jesus Christ. Acts 1:8
- I am a saint. Ephesians 1:18
- I am God’s coworker. 2 Corinthians 6:1
- I am justified. Romans 5:1
- I am … 2 Corinthians 5:21
- I am … 1 Peter 1:23
- I am … 1 Corinthians 1:8
- I am … Colossians 1:13
- I am … John 15:15
- I am … Ephesians 2:10
- I am … 2 Corinthians 5:17-20
- I am … Roman 8:37
- I am … Ephesians 2:20
- I am … 1 John 5:4
This is very good news, indeed, and there’s lots more where these came from! God’s Word is loaded with God’s labels, given to us at our rebirth! #Beencouraged!
A prayer to consider: Lord, please help me to live in the truth of who You say I am.