4 "But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh."
Romans 8:4 (NIV)
There are two ways to live life. Romans 8:4 makes that very clear. You can live according to the flesh or according to the Spirit. The difference between the two is profound.
Living according to the flesh means:
- my decision-making grid is based on me...how I feel and what I think.
- The center of my universe is prIncipally me. I worship me.
- My desires and wants prompt me to action. Feelings, cravings, passions drive me.
- My reward comes now and leaves fast.
- Self-fulfillment and self-preservation rule my life.
- Getting in touch with me matters most.
Living according to the Spirit means:
- My decision-making grid is based God...what He says goes. His Word and His Spirit become my Compass and Northstar.
- The center of my universe is God. I worship Him.
- The Spirit of God's desires and wants move me to action.
- My reward lasts forever and arrives right on time.
- God-approval and others-fulfillment rule my life.
- Humility, listening, obedience matters most to me.
Athlete, there is sharp contrast in living according to the flesh as opposed to the Spirit. I pray you choose to live according to the Spirit. It makes all the difference in the world.