32,33 "So everyone who acknowledges Me before men, I also will acknowledge before My Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies Me before men, I also will deny before My Father who is in heaven."
Matthew 10:32,33 (ESV)
Defining The Relationship (DTR) is a sensitive topic for many. Most folks play it real careful here, especially athletes, coaches and all others who value control and power. Acknowledging of others is often seen as a risky business, a scary concession to make to your competition.
Athlete, Jesus says acknowledgment of Him to others is crucial to good connection and future favor with God. What does it really mean to “acknowledge (Him) before men”? What are we to understand? How did Jesus want this thing to look? Here are some potential ways:
- Intentionally honor, thank and bow a knee to Him.
- Give consistent, special attention to His presence no matter what social setting you find yourself in.
- Declare an established relationship, social media post it to others, be seen in public with the One you value.
- Talk about your “Significant Other” freely in third party conversations.
- Understand that disowning Him, no longer identifying with Jesus, means losing your only effective Advocate before God.
Athlete, Jesus takes relationships with Him seriously. He expects to be acknowledged with honor and devotion, to be preeminently valued in front of everyone, for His people to be unashamed of Him, and for His people to shout thanks to Him from the rooftops. How are you doing in this area?